During the Christmas season of 1986, Rev. James and Priscilla Myers moved with their two children, Jennifer and Jameson, to Greenwood to start what is now called Calvary Temple. Rev. Myers and family founded Calvary Temple on January 30, 1986 as an outreach mission of Northside United Pentecostal Church in Fort Smith, Arkansas. In December of 1987, Calvary Temple United Pentecostal Church became its own official church entity. The church has grown from those four to an attendance of over 100 people. As lead Pastor, many young ministers have been mentored through the leadership of our Pastor.
Pastor Myers is a retired public school teacher with 28 years teaching experience in public schools as well as 5 years as a consultant for Accelerated Christian Education. He has played a part in the founding of 17 Christian schools across the United States, and for the past 20 years, he has served as a chaplain for the Greenwood Police Department
Calvary Temple was started in the Myers home and has grown over 25 years to a church facility of 19,000 sq. ft. sitting on a beautiful campus spanning 9.2 acres east of the city. Pastor Myers and wife Priscilla mark their ministry through compassion and a genuine desire to touch people’s lives with the love of God.
- We believe in the great commission and are endeavoring to share the Gospel of Jesus Christ with love, mercy and compassion.
- We believe there is only one God (Deuteronomy 6:4).
- We believe that God is the Creator of Heaven and Earth, and of all living beings. He has revealed Himself to humanity as the Father (Creator), as the Son (Savior), and as the Holy Ghost (indwelling Spirit).
- We believe in water baptism by immersion in the Name of the Lord Jesus Christ for the remission of sin. Through baptism we identify with the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ (Romans 6:3-6; Colossians 2:11-14; Acts 2:38).
- We believe in the infilling of the Holy Ghost with the evidence and initial sign of speaking in other tongues, as God gives the utterance (Acts 2:4).
- We believe in the manifestation of the gifts of the Holy Spirit. God ministers to His people through tongues, interpretation of tongues, prophecy, words of knowledge and wisdom, discerning of spirits, faith, working of miracles, and healing (Mark 16:15-18; Acts 5:16; I Corinthians 12:1-11).
“The lord said unto the servant, Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in, that my house may be filled.”
– Luke 14:23 KJV